Our biggest community project is with the Pueblo Nuevo elementary school, which has just 29 students and 1 teacher, from kindergarten to 6th grade, they all share the same classroom. We support as much as we can with their circumstances so they be able to have a good education to shape their future.
At the end of your visit we will send you a brief survey, we pledge to donate $ 1 in your name to this noble cause. Also, your valuable feedback will help us improve our service. We invite you to respond and be part of the important effort to overcome our children, we believe with education they will have a better future ahead.
We share with them the joy of the holidays and Children's Day, the lantern parade on September 14 to celebrate our country’s independence.
We also provide information on recycling, reusing and raise awareness about environmental protection.
Additionally, all our “always-go-the-extra-mile” hotel staff is from the area, and we create employment for various companies and independent contractors that provide services for the hotel.
Let’s make a difference!
Walking on sunshine
To reduce our environmental footprint, and help Costa Rica become the first Carbon Neutral country by 2020, we have made an important investment in Solar Panels. Today, they produce 70% of the hotel’s electricity, which is great but not enough. We want to make a greater impact to make OUR world a happier place and for that, we need your help.
There are some tiny things you can do that will make a HUGE difference. Every single one of us counts and can decide to make a difference every second of every day. Don’t wait any longer!
So, here’s what you can do:
- Turn off the lights when you are not using them, especially when you leave the room.
- Make sure the doors and windows are closed when the A/C is on, its SUPER important.
- Turn off the A/C when you leave the room (we’ll turn it back on before you’re back if you ask us to)
- Reduce: say no to plastic bags, avoid plastic and Styrofoam containers as much as you can, as well as overly packaged goods.
- Re-Use: Water at Pumilio is clean and drinkable; feel free to refill your bottle! (We have really cool canteens and cups in our store if you didn’t brought one)
- Recycle: below the information board, you will find the different recycling beans, please feel free to use them and ask our staff if you have any questions about this.
- Don’t waste paper. Let us know if you would prefer your bill emailed instead of printed, we would gladly do it this way!
- Hang your towels if you don’t need us to clean them every day, we will still clean your bathroom and arrange them nicely.
At Pumilio, we are incredibly grateful for extraordinary nature that surrounds us, which is why we are committed to maintaining it and giving back. All our amenities are Eco-Friendly, the solar panels are up and running and we are now spreading this love onto our guests. You can be happy to know that while you’re here, you are using green energy and we promise to continue improving our ecological footprint as much as we can. Any comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome and much appreciated.
Did you know? Every hour, enough sunlight blasts the earth to power the whole world for a year. It is estimated that by 2050, solar energy will be ‘accessible enough’ to power everything we use: lights, hot water, cars, computers, phones, etc. and there will be no ‘need’ to pollute the planet with oil, coal or gas. For now, let’s try to be ‘Eco-Friendly’ and keep our energy consumption as low as possible. Together, we can make a huge difference!
THANK YOU for helping us save our planet! We invite you to continue with these simple things when your back home.
The Pumilio Family