If you read our story, you know how much we love this town. Because of this, our biggest community project is with Pueblo Nuevo Elementary School. There’s 29 smart and hardworking students enrolled. They range from kindergarten to 6th grade and share 1 teacher and 1 classroom. Due to their financial situation at home, many of them drop out. Our mission is to keep them motivated, to keep them in school, and to encourage other kids in the community to join the school as well.
Here’s a bit of what we do... We provide school supplies at the beginning of the school year directly to the teacher. Whenever there’s a kid that cannot afford the uniform, back pack or has some special need, they always come to us. We actually gave the first pair of shoes for a 7 year old girl last year. We sponsor the soccer team, teach them to reduce, reuse and recycle and sponsor many extracurricular activities.
In December, we throw a big party with delicious food, cake, piñata, candy, gifts and prices for the kids, parents and the teacher, to celebrate the end of the year. We also fund the “Children’s Day” Party, on September 9th. To celebrate Costa Rica’s independence, on September 15th, the kids show off their hand-made lanterns at the hotel, we all sing the national anthem together and that’s the kick-off of their independence day parade.
Want to contribute? At the end of your visit, you will receive a brief survey from us. By completing it, we will be donating $1 USD in your name, to this noble cause. If you’d like to contribute in any other way, please let us know. We invite you to respond the survey and be part of this important effort. Help us gift them a better future!
We are different and are committed on making a difference
In an effort to reduce our environmental footprint, and help Costa Rica become the first Carbon Neutral country by 2020, we have made an important investment in Solar Panels. Today, they produce 70% of the hotel’s electricity, which is great but not enough. We want to make a greater impact to make OUR world a happier place and for that, we need your help.
There are some tiny things you can do that will make a HUGE difference. Every single one of us counts and can decide to make a difference every second of every day. Don’t wait any longer!
So, here’s what you can do:
- Turn off the lights when you are not using them, especially when you leave the room.
- Make sure the doors and windows are closed when the A/C is on, its SUPER important.
- Turn off the A/C when you leave the room (we’ll turn it back on before you’re back if you ask us to)
- Reduce: say no to plastic bags, avoid plastic and Styrofoam containers as much as you can, as well as overly packaged goods.
- Re-Use: Water at Pumilio is clean and drinkable; feel free to refill your bottle! (We have really cool canteens and cups in our store if you didn’t brought one)
- Recycle: below the information board, you will find the different recycling beans, please feel free to use them and ask our staff if you have any questions about this.
- Don’t waste paper. Let us know if you would prefer your bill emailed instead of printed, we would gladly do it this way!
- Hang your towels if you don’t need us to clean them every day, we will still clean your bathroom and arrange them nicely.
At Pumilio, we are incredibly grateful for the amount of extraordinary nature that surrounds us, which is why we are committed to maintaining it and giving back. All of our amenities are Eco-Friendly, the solar panels are up and running and we are now spreading this love onto our guests. You can be happy to know that while you’re here, you are using green energy and we promise to continue improving our ecological footprint as much as we can. Any comments and/or suggestions are more than welcome and much appreciated.
Did you know? Every hour, enough sunlight blasts the earth to power the whole world for a year. It is estimated that by 2050, solar energy will be ‘accessible enough’ to power everything we use: lights, hot water, cars, computers, phones, etc. and there will be no ‘need’ to pollute the planet with oil, coal or gas. For now, lets make an effort to be ‘Eco-Friendly’ and keep our energy consumption as low as possible. Together, we can make a huge difference!
THANK YOU for helping us save our planet! We invite you to continue with these simple things when you’re back home.
The Pumilio Family